Everytime my little girl puts store bought playdough into her mouth, chews it up and swallows, I cringe. Icky!
So I decided to try an edible playdough recipe that I found on Inspiration Laboratories:
Oatmeal Play Dough:
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of flour
Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Knead with your hands and enjoy. If the dough is a little too dry, add a touch more water. If it’s too wet, add a bit more flour.
Here’s what happened when WE gave it a whirl!
1. First we added the flour into the bowl. She liked to shift her fingers through the flour.
2. Then I added the water. She wasn’t a fan of the sticky feel of this so grandma helped out.
3. Next came the oatmeal. I didn’t have plain oatmeal so I used packets of Apple Cinnamon and Peaches and Cream. The dough smelled great!
4. For a little bit of fun I brought out the food coloring.
5. This was her favorite part. It was a great hit! She really liked taking the different colors and putting them into the dough.
Her hands reflect the great pleasure derived from the food coloring:
We made birds and squirrels and bird baths and had a whole imaginary garden going on. It was great fun; I would definitely do it again.